Requirements to be "One of the Best"
The Texarkana, Texas Police Department is responsible for enforcing all state and local laws and providing for the safety of the citizens we serve. Our police officers carry out numerous law enforcement tasks including:
- Arresting offenders
- Enforcing traffic laws
- Investigating crimes
- Investigating motor vehicle crashes
- Patrolling assigned areas
- Responding to calls for police service
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or under special circumstances, 20 years of age at the time of appointment.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver's license from their current state of residence, and they must possess a high school diploma or a general equivalency development certificate (GED).
- Applicants must be a citizen of the United States, be of good moral character, and be able to perform the essential job functions of a police officer.
- Other requirements and information may be found on the civil service questionnaire, but each applicant must pass the Civil Service Examination and meet minimum standards relating to any criminal history, traffic violations, and previous usage of illicit drugs.
- A thorough background investigation will be conducted on each applicant to determine their suitability for employment.
Lateral Entry Opportunity
The Texarkana, Texas Police Department recognizes service as a previous employed and certified peace officer from other Texas and out-of-state law enforcement agencies. Eligibility for this consideration includes having a Texas Peace Officer certification, not longer than a two year break in service from the last law enforcement agency and beginning employment with this agency, must be certified as having left their previous law enforcement agencies under honorable conditions, and successfully pass the local civil service entry examination.
The successful candidate for this opportunity will be granted credit for their previous service up to a maximum of five years and will begin employment at the corresponding pay classification for that level of service.
The Texarkana, Texas Police Department is a Civil Service employer and complies with Chapter 143 of the Texas Local Government Code. All applicants will be screened according to the following procedures:
- Civil Service Examination
- Physical Assessment
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination
- Medical Examination
- Drug Screening
- Psychological Evaluation
- Applicant Review Board
Applications may be obtained from:
- City of Texarkana, Texas Personnel Office
220 Texas Blvd.
Texarkana, TX 75501
- Texarkana, Texas Police Department's Office of Professional Standards and Recruiting
Bi-State Justice Building
100 N. State Line Ave.
3rd Floor, #16
Texarkana, TX 75501-5666
For more information, telephone our recruiter at 903-798-3116 and ask for the Office of Professional Standards and Recruiting.